Tuesday, August 3, 2010

dog whisperer I am not

dom·i·nant [dom-uh-nuhnt]
–adjective
1. ruling, governing, or controlling; having or exerting authority or influence: dominant in the chain of command.
2. occupying or being in a commanding or elevated position.

al·pha [al-fuh]
–adjective
a. (esp. of animals) having the highest rank of its sex in a dominance hierarchy: the alpha female.
b. being the most prominent, talented, or aggressive person in a group

Neither of these adjectives describe me at home. Now, at work-- that's a different story. As I've mentioned recently, I am two different people: one, at work, is self-assured, authoritative, and unafraid. The other, at home, is meek, still, and quiet. I could be neither one without the other-- one is my relief from the other.

I will fully recognize that I let Bub run my house too much. He's small and doesn't ask for much, so to let him lead on walks or beg for food or jump on the couch without asking really didn't affect my life that much in any negative way. Throw this big, lumbering, clumsy, teenage puppy into the mix, though, and we've got a problem. And I think he's big now... no telling the mess he'll be able to make when he's full grown if I don't nip this in the bud right now. By the way, we've named him Boone.

I've been researching puppy training. I've always watched the dog whisperer and agree with his reinforcement and calm-assertive techniques. The problem isn't the dog; it's me. I feel myself getting frustrated, pent-up anger boiling inside my chest, yelling instead of calmly and directly giving instructions. I wouldn't yell or get angry at work, so I don't know where that comes from at home. I guess it's because I am the other person at home, the quiet one who expects her world at home to be quiet as well, so when anything disturbs that it upsets me.

But I'm working on it, and we're getting there. It's a learning experience for both of us. I knew better than to get a puppy... but as puppies go, he's smart, well-meaning, quite calm actually, and can entertain himself for the most part. I've begun getting up at 7 a.m. to walk him before work, and I go home at lunch as well. At night we walk again, but anything beyond 15 minutes outside is too much. It's 104 here today. Fetch will come later this month, when the sun decides to stop trying to fry us like eggs.

He walks on a leash perfectly, I'll give him that. He occasionally gets excited and tries to pull, but one Cesar-style quick tug on the leash and he's back in line beside me. He can also sit on command about 90% of the time. The other 10% comes from him being a puppy with an attention span of about 3 seconds. He knows what to do, he's just not always listening.

We're learning down-- that's an easy one. Stay is the big problem. Again, with such a short attention span, to get him to pay attention to the fact that he should remain on his hindquarters for longer than it takes for me to step away is quite a feat. I need him to learn stay, though, because he bolts in and out of doors so quickly I know he's going to take me and Bub down with him eventually-- it's only a matter of time. I make him sit every time he wants something, whether it's food, a toy, to go out, or even a pat on the head. He's working for me. He resists my commands much more often than my husband's; I've decided it has to do with the tone of his voice, so now I boom out in a deep timber when I say SIT. It seems to also help if I over-enunciate the T, with a little spit at the end. Can you tell I'm over-analyzing?

I know what will help me the most will be to see continued progress with him and to gain confidence from that progress. What he needs from me most is for me to be a confident leader, like the people at work have, and not the quiet girl my husband knows best. I have to train myself first.

Boone and Bub, on their first day together. Bub has claimed Boone's new bed, and Boone is trying desperately to get Bub to play with him.

5 comments:

  1. Aren't puppies fun? My daughter just left with my grand-dog, the boxer. He was a riot. I have forgotten how much long legged dogs can get into! Yesterday I washed the curtains and reset the brackets (he pulled them down)....... and washed the dog snot off the windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know all too well what you're going through! When I had Toby (who was about Bub's size, or smaller) it was no big deal to let him jump up on the couch or get hyper and run around the living room. He didn't knock anything over or hurt too much. With Maggie... totally different story. She's nearly 60 pounds now and still in that awkward puppy stage where she really doesn't realize how big she's gotten. I'm apparently not authoritative enough, either, so she rarely listens to me. However, after just a few weeks around Derek, she's nearly fully trained. He's so firm, yet gentle with her. Never raises his voice or gets frustrated. I gotta learn how to do that :)

    Good luck with the training! I know it's tough, but it's going to be a fun watching Boone grow and learn. Can't wait to hear more about it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just rescued a husky and he is RULING my existence. Oh my God does he have energy and alpha dogness to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It always starts with us, huh? Even with dog training. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello scarlethue..harika blog beatiful.thank you.love kısses

    ReplyDelete