I just now realized that I missed my Grateful Thursday post last week. Is it Monday? It feels like Tuesday already. I guess that's just the kind of day I'm having. The weekend went by entirely too quickly, and I can't believe it's February already. One down, eleven to go. And they'll go quicker than I will be able to keep up.
There are 6 to 10 things I could talk about right now, but they all relate to work. And I'm sick of work-- sick of being here, of thinking about it, of talking about it. Not that I dislike it, it's just that we've been so busy lately. I need a break, and weekends are way too short. But I want them out of my head so here they are, quickly:
1) It's (still) freaking cold in here. I've begun a quiet coup every time I walk past the thermostat by turning up and/or checking to make sure it's still up.
2) We're participating in a career fair on a college campus tomorrow. Should be fun.
3) I'm sick of customers. Customers suck-- whiny, dumb, and lazy. You know who you are. I'm one of these when it's not my company.
4) Some guy who makes office signs dropped off his card, and his name is Coolidge Ball. His mother was a terribly mean-spirited woman to do that to him.
5) It doesn't smell like paint anymore. But it's still loud.
6) My boss told me Saturday night that he's ok with employees fearing me. He doesn't want to be feared-- he wants to "lead by inspiration," but it's ok if I'm feared. The reign of terror begins. Just kidding. Maybe.
7) I can't stand people running around here like chickens with their heads cut off, like something somewhere is on fire. It's going to be ok. Chill. Take a deep breath and think through it. One employee is constantly muttering "shit" and "damnit" under his breath as his fingers make a tip-tapping blur over his keyboard. We call him Eeyore for a reason.
That's enough for now.
Personal life? This weekend we did nothing Friday night-- tv, couch, and a quilt, that's it. Saturday we ate out, mostly because I didn't feel like cooking, and grabbed a quick drink with some old friends who happened to be out as well. She was just "implanted" on Monday, meaning she's going through another round of in-vetro fertilization, and was just released from bed rest. She won't know until the 8th whether or not they're sticking around for the long haul. For her sake, I hope they do, although I know for a fact I'd never go through that much expense and worry and pain for something my body was telling me didn't need to happen. That's just me though-- to each their own. I'm probably not the best case scenario as I don't care that much about having kids in the first place.
We're hosting the super bowl party this weekend, so that should be a hoot. I sent a mass email earlier to all my friends and have thus far only gotten one response. People are so bad about RSVPing. But I'm anal. We're making shrimp gumbo and asking them to bring appetizers and desserts. One friend is making a Super Bowl Squares board, $1 a square, with a winner drawn at the end of every quarter. I'm terrible at that. I put way too much thought into it, figuring out the mathematical probability of each particular numeral and how frequently they occur, based on typical football scores of 7 and 3 points with 6 and 2 points being less likely. For instance, a score of 2 to 7 is very, very, unlikely, but a score of 2 to 2 is nearly impossible. Best to stick to multiples of 3 and 7 and combinations thereof. Don't take my advice though-- I've never won.
We'll just call last week a wash with Grateful Thursday. I'll do a doubly-good post this Thursday, promise. I absolutely have things for which to be grateful, like that the heat, mercifully, just kicked on, or that I had leftover Indian for lunch, but days like today leave me ultimately wanting not much more than a sunset, especially a sun setting on a Friday, excusing me into 48 hours of relative freedom. Just four more days to go. I'm going to make it a point to find something positive in each day, just so I don't feel so bad about wishing my life away.
I've had some days like that lately as well. They always seem to be worse when the sun sets as early as it still does. I hope that work gets better; you know it has to eventually.
ReplyDeleteI think some of my favorite nights involve blankets and movies and a whole lot of nothing, though I'm also a big fan of not having to cook dinner (we went out for Mexican tonight). I know what you mean about RSVPs. I admit I'm not so good at them myself.
Hopefully tomorrow will be fun but if nothing else it'll be a change of pace, right?
I'm having a bit of week like that, and it's only Tuesday. And an exam on Friday. I think I want to sleep for a week.
ReplyDeletePhew! Slow down ... please. You're making me feel tired already.
ReplyDeleteYou have a very busy life. It is just that time for you. I look back now and always wonder how I did it all. It seems impossible, but when you're in the middle of it, you manage somehow. Hope the Super Bowl party goes well. I know what you mean about RSVP'ers.
ReplyDelete