I love to read the "Dear Prudence" columns on Slate (you can see the most recent ones here and here), written by Emily Yoffe. Occasionally the questions are sad, heart-wrenching, the kind of family or personal drama that no one wants to find themselves in, dealing with death or violence or other terrible situations. Occasionally the questions are thought-provoking, the sort of spots we all find ourselves in now or then, with elaborate or delicate etiquette implications.
And occasionally they're just funny. A minister who doesn't like his parishioners' dogs, a boyfriend who doesn't brush his teeth, a fiancee who doesn't want to sit in her future-in-laws' family Christmas card portrait because she wants her own tradition, a woman with so much plastic surgery she thinks she's too perfect... who couldn't see the humor here? What's better is Prudence's biting humor, often poking fun at or even completely deriding the letter writer. She, for instance, informed the fiancee that after refusing to strike a pose, her new family "will be filled with seasonal joy that you'll be around for the holidays for the rest of their lives." And she told the would-be Barbie that after being "cut and sucked and stuffed head to toe" she can't possibly look natural anymore and should stop worrying and find a therapist.
But among her hilarious puns and one-liners, she gives fantastic advice. Really logical, thought-out, and correct instructions for people in all kinds of situations, from an abusive spouse to a dog that won't quit peeing on the wall. This is really why I read her column; the humor is just an added bonus.
I wish I could give advice like that. I've got the sarcasm and amused snorts down for those with the weird or silly problems, but I'd love to have the ability to produce concise and accurate advice for those with more serious problems. I think I just like to help, to be of some use.
I can't think of a time when someone really wowed me with advice given to me. Or is it that I'm so stuck in my ways I wouldn't recognize it even if it reached out and slapped me in the face and said, "hey, I'm good advice, take me!" I did have a friend tell me once that I was dating the wrong guy, and she was right, but it was probably pretty obvious to anyone who knew both of us. And fellow bloggers often point out things I hadn't yet considered, but the blog world is different as I'm much more open here. I think I'm probably just one of those people that hides my insecurities and puts on such a steely facade that no one thinks I need advice. Or at least I hope so?
Anyway, what's the last great advice you've given, received, or heard?

It may help you to know that most advice columnists often use "ghost" outside help for the more serious questions.
ReplyDeleteBest advice I've given; to my slacker step-son: Get a Job.
Best advice I've received; from my dad when departing into the military: Keep you mouth shut and your zipper up and you'll stay out of trouble.
I tend to agree with my own advice :) And you, you have talent and wit yourself, you hold things, Prudence doesn't...did you ever think of that? Cheers!
ReplyDeleteI know the general rules are to either follow your heart, or your head. But it may sound strange but I follow my backside.
ReplyDeleteSuffering from IBS, my backside can tell me a lot about the day. If it is calm, then I know that the day is going to be a good one. If it is on fire with all the heat of a thousand suns, then I know the day is going to be bad and it’s probably best to go back to bed.
A simple solution that bides me well I find.
And you do strike me as the sort of person who would give good advice. You always seem pretty level headed on here?
Honestly? The best advice I received of late was from my sister-in-law's husband. My wife is a twin and they share a lot of the same traits and quirks. When I felt myself in danger of 'not getting it' recently, he turned to me with a conspiratorial smile and reminded me that this was normal; that this was EXACTLY what we had to expect.
ReplyDeleteIt's not a bad thing being married to a twin - far from it - but the dynamic's interesting at times. Anyway, he keeps me going when I'm in danger of falling off the rails. :)
Feel the fear and do it anyway . . . . . .
ReplyDeleteAmelia.x
www.101birdtales.blogspot.com
my mother told me, treat both success and failure as the impostors they truly are.
ReplyDeletethat liberated me.