Thursday, November 12, 2009

Such a Grateful Thursday


1) I feel better. I'm still coughing, and at times it still gets pretty rough, but I can take a deep breath now and only feel a very slight need to cough on the exhale. My husband said my breathing sounded much less labored last night, and my throat wasn't nearly as sore this morning, plus my head isn't hurting, finally. I don't feel full of snot anymore, to put it bluntly. This is all kind of surprising considering I keep forgetting to take my antibiotic. Stupid things, once I start to feel better I always forget about them. But I'll finish them.

2) My friend being in town. We've had the best time this week. She's one of those very rare people (very rare indeed for an introvert like me) who I can not see for years, but as soon as we're back together it's like we were never apart. Last night at dinner she said something about sleeping on a guy's couch, and without knowing it I must have given the impression I knew the truth, and she called me on it, saying "Oh, right, I forgot, I can't lie to you, sitting over there with that half-cocked smirk on your face." And she's right, she can't, because I know her too well, as she does me.

3) New direction at work. I have been feeling a little bored lately. We've got several new employees, a couple of whom have taken over duties that used to be mine, which is great because I was overloaded, but I was beginning to feel like I gave away too much. I had a talk with my boss about it, though-- can I tell you how nice it is to have a boss who recognizes my worth so that I can have an "I'm bored" conversation with him with absolutely no fear that he will fire me?? Anyway, he told me I was going to have to get used to supervising people rather than actually doing all the work myself, which is true, plus he gave me some new, more important duties. Project management responsibilities. I'm a good little organizer, it's true, and I love to make to do lists, so this has been fun. Plus I'm back to feeling important and needed again. There's really nothing better than that.

4) This weekend. Although I'll be saying bye to my friend again tomorrow, my husband's parents will be coming in for the weekend. He has Saturday off for a change, so we're all going to be going to the local college football game and tailgate party, then that night we will be joining my parents as well for dinner at a very tasty restaurant downtown. I'm already planning what to order. We haven't seen his parents in a while and I always enjoy their company, plus she always gives him money when she leaves. He's nearly 32 but that never has stopped her. He tried to refuse for a while but she'd just sneak it into his pocket.

5) A few days off in a couple weeks. I'm taking Wed-Friday off for Thanksgiving as Wednesday is my husband's birthday. I need to figure out what to get him! I usually do my shopping on Saturdays, but with him off this weekend I have no idea when I'll have the time. But I am looking forward to spending those few days with him.

6 comments:

  1. how rare to have a boss like yours. this is truly an underrated blessing! good for you for speaking up. it's so much better to busy with work you enjoy than to be bored.

    and thanks so much for visiting my blog and i hope you come by again. so glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! I am glad you are feeling better.
    I have a few friends, like that, too. I feel fortunate for their presence in my life. There is a quote--friends are the people that know everything about you and like you anyway--something to that effect that applies. I wouldn't want it any other way, either.
    Enjoy your weekend and your meal. I cannot wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you are on the mend. I had some kind of bug last winter with that cough. That tickle in the throat seems to last forever. Take ALL your meds! Your body needs time to heal and the antibiotic needs to be in your system for longer than when you just start to feel better. Sorry, it is the mom in me.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad & my husband's mom still give us money when we visit - & I'm 45 & he's turning 50 tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a busy time ahead of you. Keep up with the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried to post a few times and could not get through. Now I am behind! Happy Thanksgiving to you and I LOVE the new blog look, but also loved the old!

    ReplyDelete