Tuesday, November 17, 2009

my jar of marbles


Monday morning as I rolled over and looked at my snoring husband, examining the "flesh" colored breathe-right strip across his nose, I remembered that there was no one else in my house. Not a soul other than me, my husband, my Bub, the kitty, and the ghosts of our histories. I sighed and kissed him gently to wake him up.

We've had house guests since last Monday, so to finally have our house back, our quiet back, and our noise back, was so... relieving. When my friend was here, I wasn't as worried that she would hear something or that we would bother her, but out of respect and decorum we refrained. With his parents in the house, no swear words could be uttered, no bitchy words about work or life could be spoken, and by no means could they hear any sighs coming from the bedroom. It made for a very long week.

When we first got married, we would make out for hours on the couch, like teenagers, and make love like bunnies in the spring every day. We couldn't get enough of each other; we had to breathe each other in, take our time, linger, pause to examine each moment, like there was nothing else in the world but the two of us. But there are other things, other places to be, responsibilities and stresses and even mundane things like televisions that steal your attention away from the most vital things.

I heard once that if you were to put a marble in a jar every time you made love your first year of marriage, and then in your second year you begin taking a marble out every time, you'll never remove all the marbles from the jar. What a terrible thought, what a loveless way to live your marriage. And you do live your marriage.

This is one case where you want your glass to be half empty, or all empty if you can manage it. I'd say we've long ago emptied the jar, but we're slowing on removing those imaginary marbles. We talk about it. We've had several conversations about how we don't want it to be this way, that we want to spend an hour staring into each others' eyes, like we used to, stroking naked skin with no intentions other than the feeling of that one finger on an arm or neck or leg or back, swaying in each others' arms, loving. But the conversations aren't quelling the disquiet, aren't turning off the tvs and cell phones, don't take our attention away from our jobs or our families, and can't stop the noise inside our heads caused by it all.

How do you get back to that place? I love him, obviously. And he loves me. We're the wonder twins, best friends, we complete each other in that cheesy movie way that no one thinks is real, but it is. It can be. Nothing is perfect, of course.

I hear relationship "experts" (can you really be such a thing?) say that we should make date nights, we should schedule sex into our busy lives so it's not missed, we should strive for regularity so we don't forget each other in our crazy little world.

"Honey, don't forget, it's Tuesday. At 8 pm I'll meet you in bed."

Where's the romance? Where's that sweep-me-off-my-feet, adore me and cherish me feeling? Should we just feel lucky enough to have earned that half-hour on a calendar? Could one night a month of total dedication to each other be enough, one date over candlelight and wine to inspire 30 more days of self-interest and "quickies" squeezed in between morning showers and rushing to work, between the 6 pm news and our dinner plans?

The longer I go without him, the weaker I feel. Having him back yesterday morning was like waking up on that first warm spring day after a long and bitter winter. Rejuvenating, but over all too quickly, before I know it fading again into cold days with falling leaves and gray clouds.

If I could live in an eternal spring with him, just the two of us, like it was when we were new to each other. As it is, we do the best we can, reaching out for each other in the dark as often as we can, like a light bulb to be turned on to illuminate the corners of our lives. We're better off than so many people, and happier than so many people. He is so important to me he's like an extension of my own body, and I count him at the top of my blessings every day.

17 comments:

  1. Omigosh, that is so beautiful...! It sounds to me as if you are truly blessed, even if some of the dynamics of your relationship have changed a bit over the years. I think what you have is true love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priorities change and so does love. It sounds like you have the balance right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has really made me think about all sorts of stuff. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how this resonated for me. My husband's boss shared that same marble analogy with him when we were newlyweds (23 years ago!) and we swore that we would always make sure we emptied the jar. Along came children, and the jar of marbles always seemed to have a few beauties in there. Finally, we did what had previously seemed so ridiculous to us. We started making dates, and rearranging our lives to make them happen. It got to be a delicious thing. We'd plan for days what we'd do our our date, teasing one another, so playful. It was a lovely spicy addition to our lives, one we could start to count on amid the daily press of family needs to be met, bills, work, aging parents, social obligations. I never thought I'd say this back when I was in my 20s and 30s, but you know, those scheduled dates can be ... invigorating.

    The other part of your post that just sliced right through me was the recognition of that feeling you have when all the guests are gone, the house is empty again, in our case it's just us and our two kids, and we can walk around in whatever we choose, say whatever we feel, flop wherever, cook or not as we choose, BREATHE. You captured that so beautifully. It's not that you don't love the ones who were under your roof. In fact, because you love them, you constantly check yourself. How good it feels when you can exit that double consciousness again!

    You also evoked so poignantly what a true day in day out loving marriage feels like. Sometimes I have to pinch myself and remind myself that we are living the love you read about in romance novels and fairy tales. How amazing is that. One has to keep that awareness always close, as the demands of everyday life can so easily obscure that so exquisite truth.

    Wonderful post. So rich, so humanly true. You are a beautiful writer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet to love someone that much! To want to hold onto that wonderful feeling of new love with your man. It is hard work, but worth the effort. After 35 years together, there is still no one else I would rather fall down in the sheets with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to have such special love.

    Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about from the way you write about your relationship.

    It’s hard to balance life and love, you seem to be getting it right matey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check my blog out. You've won something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a beautifully real post.
    reminds me of my relationship with my husband...
    in fact we were having the very conversation ourselves last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your husband. You're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here via MLS, lovely post.
    Sums it all up really, wonder twins living the reality within the fantasy. I'm lucky enough to be doing that too, and despite the challenges and frustrations you mention, we are the lucky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can sooo relate to this. Between the relentless cycle of working full time, raising three beautiful kids, and cooking and cleaning for a family, it can be soooo hard to find time for romance.. the affect of loosing it has been hard on me, it slowly crept up without me noticing and really got me down at one point.. but, perspective helps, thinking positive and talking about it.. its nice to hear that someone else has similar feelings : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow I am feeling a bit depressed reading your blog. Really cant put my finger on it. And before I could find the answers to your questions, your post ended. Strangely MLS also mentioned it when he put you up on his blog.

    But despite my long face right now, I am glad you are happy. Atleast some people here are. Thats good news. It gives me hope

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found this post and I love it so. I'm in the glowy new phase of love. Alright we've been together for a couple of years but we have yet to live with each other so still pine for each other a lot. We worry about how things might change in the future, but we are also dedicated to living our relationship.

    Oh, I'm so happy. I'm such a geek.
    What a great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marble is a thing of beauty.Call us today formarble polishing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We offer fair prices on Marble Cleaning Miami so you don’t have to do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete