I have another headache this morning. A dull ache running up the right side of my nose, looping around my eyebrow back down into my eye socket. I noticed on the drive in to work, and again right now, the pain makes me lean my head to the right a little, like the weight of it is pushing me down. There's a headache clinic about an hour from here. Or there's a neurologist here in my town. Might be time I saw a real doctor and not just a GP.
We were bored last night (what else is new) having run out of books and tv and finding our jigsaw puzzle a little too puzzling. We went into town to rent a movie. On the way back home, on the highway we passed a small yellow dog eating something and then shortly after a shepherd mix, obviously his buddy. People let their dogs roam too often on that busy two-lane high-speed road. Hardly a week passes where there's not some poor animal squished and pushed to the side. This morning it was a little yellow dog, not three feet from where we passed him. I swallowed sobs all the way to work. I used to be the kind of person that would stop and pick anything up-- could have been six dogs and I would have tried. I've become complacent, not wanting to upset my husband, not wanting to upset our life. I should have stopped.
I'm too hard on myself, I know. It's a really busy road, stopping in the dark would have been really dangerous. And it's been my experience that roving packs are wary of humans and will do anything, including running into traffic, to get away from one, even if they're just trying to help. But I wish I would've tried. I'd like to say I'll learn a lesson from this, but I won't. The truth is, picking them up makes me sad too, because I can't keep them. All I can do is turn them into the shelter and hope someone adopts them.
My mom told me yesterday they're coming up to see me this weekend. They're tired of their town and need a break too. They want to get away from their phone for a bit too, I imagine. I still haven't talked to either of my brothers myself and I doubt I will for a long time. I'm too tired to care. Work has been so stressful lately, we're so broke waiting for this software to launch, yet for some reason my boss keeps talking about expanding, hiring more people. Working for a start-up like this carries its own special kind of worry, over whether or not it will last and if you'll still have a job next year. No worries about getting fired, just over my pay check not bouncing.
I'm so tired of being me, tired of caring around all this recurring pain. It never goes away. I'm a pulsating ball of physical pain and mental torture this morning. I'm picturing myself on the beach at Destin, feeling the sun, listening to the waves and the children laugh, sipping on a fruity drink, closing my eyes and completely forgetting the rest of the world. I need about three days of that and nothing else. I need restoring, rebooting. I need to breathe, to stretch my limbs, to sigh heavily because I'm happy instead of just trying to calm myself down. I don't care about the money or the time lost, I just have to go.
A few solutions amid your post. Take some time, see a doctor, talk about your pain and don't beat yourself up over the dog. You need to care for yourself before you can care for stray critters.
ReplyDeleteChronic pain is exhausting and depressing. You might want to hypno-therapy or acupuncture. It might offer some relief. Sending best healing thoughts your way.
Oh, honey - I know that feeling. Wanting to escape for just a little while - to be someone different. Hang in there and know that it will get better.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm just over an hour from Destin, so come on over... we'll go sit on the beach and drink fruity drinks together. :)
That's how I became a river guide. I got tired of being me, got tired of my life which was not at all happy at the time. Being among strangers all the time, none of them knew me so I could constantly re-invent myself, be whoever and whatever I wanted. It was great therapy.
ReplyDeleteYou really need to make (and keep) an appointment with a specialist for those headaches. Take care of you and all the rest will follow. You can only do what you can do and stop worrying about the brother. He is his own man and will have to face his own consequence of life. I hope you feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteHaven't we all wanted to get away from ourselves for awhile, at one time or another? See a doctor about the headaches. Make a nice plan for some weekend, perhaps. We like you as you are. Don't stay gone away from you for too long :).
ReplyDeleteYou know, when I feel that way (and I sure as heck do!) I try to find a place to get away to. Even if only for a day or a weekend. I drive to the beach, or just go to the next town over and stay the night. Anything to break out from "me."
ReplyDeleteHang in there
I am new to reading your blog..The portrait of the women on the chair on your blog Is the same portait over my desk in my study, so curiously I clicked your blog to find out more..this is my favorite painting looks like my mother when she was young. anyway... thats how How I found your blog...and low and behold you also have a brother just like me! anyway.... My husband and I retired very early in a rural coastal town in California.. My other life was a stressful job in Intl sales for large corporations in the silicon valley...for years I had mysterious and continuous migranes and infections and even thyroid issues...i was in and out of doctors more than I can rememeber...the point of all this is..when we retired here...8 years now... since I have been here... I have never had any of those health issues..they just disapeared..I think HOW I was living made me sick..I lost my joy of life there...I had no other life but my work.. and that did not work for me...maybe you need to find your bliss..and add that to your day..or make a clean break and run free.
ReplyDeleteTake car of he headaches.
ReplyDeleteThen take a trip if possible, or travel somewhere to meet new people, see new things and have the opportunity to be whoeve you want very day.