Sunday, May 17, 2009

lazy Sunday

I love Sundays. I'd love them more if Monday didn't follow them. 

We got out of bed at about nine this morning, not nearly late enough, and now I'm wishing I had taken a nap at some point. Too late for a nap now; I guess I'll just go to bed early. We did spend most of the morning on our respective couches though-- the cat on the back of husband's couch over him, Bub snuggled up next to me on mine. He's very protective of me lately, not sure why. Even when we were outside later this afternoon, he stayed very close to me, standing touching my legs at some points. 

At about 2, we finally extracted ourselves from our sofas and blankets to shower and go watch the new Star Trek movie. The thought just occurred to me that I don't know the name of the movie, only that it was about Star Trek. It was pretty good, well acted and well written, full of action. I never watched the original series, just the one with Patrick Stewart. I used to love Data and Jordy, probably because Jordy also did Reading Rainbow on PBS. Anyway, it was a good waste of a couple hours on an otherwise quiet Sunday afternoon.

When we got home, we weeded the front flower beds. They were in desperate need of a purge. We've had so much rain the camellia bushes have tripled in size. And they were resident here when we moved in-- two of the only three living landscaped plants in our yard. (We bought the worst house on the road and have already significantly increased its curb appeal and value.) I'm surprised at their growth as I thought they were full grown. I don't know when I'm supposed to prune those so they'll still bloom in the fall. I'll have to look it up.

As I was yanking clover, I was thinking about how much I wanted Indian food for dinner. On the way back into the house, as though he had been reading my mind, husband shyly and sweetly turned to me and mumbled "sure would like some Indian food tonight, if that's good with you...." I swear it's like we share a brain sometimes. So I'm full of khorma and aloo gobi and naan, now, trying to entertain myself on the computer while he watches his Sunday night cartoons on FOX. I enjoy the Simpson's but none of the others.

I am not looking forward to this week. My coworker, the one with whom I work the most closely and with whom I have become friends, is about three hours away with her grandfather in an ICU. The boss is out of town until Tuesday, so I'll be holding down the fort pretty much by myself tomorrow. Last week was Hell Week, and I don't see this one being much easier. I need a vacation, desperately. I'd prefer the Florida coast but I'd settle for a river fishing trip at this point. Or maybe New Orleans, or Savannah. Just a few days out of this bubble. I'd even leave my blackberry behind. Maybe.

5 comments:

  1. Cheer up, after Monday, only 4 days remain until the weekend. Seriously, I doubt we could truly appreciate a nice lazy day if we didn't have those stressful ones preceding it. I am taking a break from tax hell and reading my favorite blogs. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day!

    And I love Lamar Burton and Reading Rainbow. My daughter's school still shows videos of that show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww bless you, good luck with today! Just have to look forward to the weekend!!
    Keep smiling

    Lotty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to spend your Sunday with a variety of enjoyments! I did some bush wacking too, cutting down some Rose of Sharons.

    Today is a fresh start (and it's half over - at least it's 12:23 pm here)! Count down those office hours and pretty soon you'll be out the door! Savor lunch. Enjoy peeks of that window view. Smile because you have a beautiful truth of a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you manage a nice stress-free holiday soon. I'd leave the communications devises at home lest it not feel like vacation. I'm now craving Indian food, thank you very much! ;)

    ReplyDelete