Saturday, May 30, 2009

improvements

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words yesterday. It was a particularly bad day until, finally, I made it to the baseball field at 7. I sat in the dying sunlight, cold beer in one hand, my husband's hand in the other, talking to friends and cheering on our team. I felt released. I realized while there it had been nearly a month since we'd gotten together with friends and was reminded how essential that is for my well-being.

That, and shoe shopping. I bought three pairs this afternoon... I couldn't help it! They were on sale at my favorite store. I can't remember the last pair I bought that wasn't from that store. I got some gold flip-flop sandals for $12, a pair of multi-hued green fabric flats, and a pair of pointy-toed brown leather flats that have cute orange tabs across the toes. Hard to explain, but super cute. Shoes are my number one indulgence. I'm going to try to find a way to wear the green ones tonight. We're going to our second game in the tournament. 

All that said, I did make myself an appointment for my headaches. I have another headache today, although the Aleve my mom gave me seems to be working pretty well. The appointment is with a neurologist who works specifically with migraines and headaches, so if anyone can help me, he can. I couldn't get in until June 17th, but that will be here before I know it. It's also in a town about an hour and a half from here (no neurologists here), but I know it will be worth the trip.

I found out earlier today an old friend of mine passed away. He had cancer as a child, a tumor on his spine, that eventually caused him to lose the use of his legs. I worked with him for a little over a year about 4 years ago. I saw him a few weeks ago, but just in passing, just got to say a quick hi, how are you. He was a cool guy, very nice, dry sense of humor, and very creative. He had a blog about handicap access to places in our town and other handicap issues. He was also a photographer, and he got married last year. Our town lost one of its great characters when it lost him. What else is a small Southern town but just a collection of characters, misplaced from their fictional stories? I think he would have liked that thought.

Makes me think about how I need to stop and smell the roses more often. Stop and say more than hi to people. Say what you need to say, right? Common theme lately. I guess that's why that song has been stuck in my head all week.

Just sitting on the couch with the Bubby right now, waiting for 3:30 to roll around so I can go get my husband and get to the field. Tomorrow begins the tiling adventure!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better. Having fun and releasing stress can do wonders for headaches. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me of daughter #1 - it's all about SHOES. We are heading her way in a week or so, and I'll bet we have at least one shoe encounter.

    Sorry about your friend, and thanks for the reminder to say what we want to say now, not later.

    Good luck with the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you made that app.--do not cancel it, even if you are feeling better! Spoken like a mom, I guess. I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you have an appt. I hope you get some good relief.

    Sounds like you needed a good dose of your husband :).

    Very sad to hear about your friend!

    is this you in the picture? You are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound happy now! I am glad.. we all go thru those up and downs... hey you have Buddy.. a jack russell?? like my Jujube? they are always there for us...he is adorable! Think about your booth again.. its very theraputic being creative..right next to buying shoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that's me. Thanks, Meredith :) And Marlene, he is a jack russell mix, a pound puppy. He's a bit bigger than a jack russell but he has their kind of attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a friend, no matter if casual is so difficult.

    I'm pleased for you that you have an appointment to to try to resolve your migraines. It can be a great stress-reliever just knowing you feel some hope. If you learn anything new and helpful, please pass that along! :)

    And that pup.. oh how I know the JRT 'tude! So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to have some fun and relax. Bubby is adorable! Reminds me of my Toby a little. :)

    ReplyDelete