Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'm not the only one who forgets

I got my feelings hurt a few weeks ago, over something pretty silly. My father-in-law, step-mother-in-law, and little brother-in-law forgot my birthday. Completely. I saw them about a week before and no mention was made, and I saw them again about 4 days after, when they invited us to dinner (I was thinking surely they realized they had forgotten and were going to celebrate with me that night), but no one said a word.

I feel silly for caring. They aren't my family, and they're notorious for this. My father-in-law sent his own daughter's birthday card three months late last year, although he did call her the day of. Last year they remembered; he bought me an Arts and Crafts book. I'm not one to really celebrate my own birthday anyway. I'm much happier with a small gathering of friends, no singing or burning candles or presents, just us, as usual, which also means I'm not one to go about broadcasting upcoming events either, a la "Hey everyone, next Tuesday is my birthday, don't forget!!" My mother-in-law and step-father-in-law remembered, sent a card. My husband thinks it's funny, in a sad way, that they forgot... I don't broach the subject of his dad with him often, though. Who knows what memories lie there for him, perhaps forgotten birthdays of his own. I thought at least my brother-in-law would remember though. He's 20, really looks up to his big brother, and is over at our house all the time. 

I've been thinking more about how tired I am lately. I forgot to do something pretty important at work yesterday until just before 5, and as a result something that needed to happen today isn't going to. But I wasn't being lazy, just overwhelmed. I got a lot of other really good stuff done, but this one small but important everyday sort of activity just slipped my mind. The little things, they slide out unnoticed, like a friend leaving a party out the back door. I webmd-ed myself, but unless I've been hit in the head, am intoxicated, or am taking sleeping pills, the best they've got for me is MS, and I'm so not going down that road. You know, webmd is really a terrible thing. We're a nation full of hypochondriacs because of it.

6 comments:

  1. It IS upsetting, though. I'm the same way - about not blowing horns and making everyone know my day is coming - but it's still a great little feeling when people celebrate you. I get it.

    Are you taking vitamins? Anemia comes to mind, but if the lethargy continues, you should definitely go talk to a doc. And my dad has MS (which is incredibly hard to diagnose) - you'd be having a lot of other distinct troubles. Yep, webmd is a scary place, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are completely justified in feeling upset... I would be too. To be celebrated one day a year is not too much to ask.
    And if you find out what's causing you to forget things, please let me know. I have a serious case of it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all is well with you health wise. I can't even watch House because I have all the diseases. Do take multi-vitamins, though. Most of us just don't eat all the right things we need to.

    Sorry about your birthday - one day you may get to where you want it forgotten! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always shocked if anyone in my extended family remembers my B Day. I do remind my husband and kids though.

    MS ~ I've been told I had it, told I didn't, told I might, now I'm told I just have bad migraines. Do you bump into things, fall, not feel parts of your legs or hands, any tingling or numbness, being fuzzy headed sometimes is a symptom but it's also a symptom of lots of other things. Go to the ms site and see if what you have fits a lot of them ... an mri will show if you have lesions.

    It also could be fibromyalgia but that involves a lot of aches and pains.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm terrible about remembering people's birthdays and need to be reminded. Or I'll remember a week before and then when the day comes, I forget. I don't tell many people when mine is coming, I feel self conscious if someone wants to make a big deal out of it, like I don't deserve it. Fortunately for me, the few people that it is important for them to remember, do.

    re your health worries, it could be something as simple as a magnesium deficiency or vitamin D deficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are just tired and a little stressed out. Have a good cry. My own parents called me on my 26th birthday to discuss a dental appointment for my son and said nothing about my birthday. It probably wouldn't have mattered if not for the fact that the only mention all day long of my birthday was a card in the mail from my mother-in-law. Like you, I didn't want a big deal, just an honorable mention. It just occurred to me that this happened 30 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete