Wednesday, May 27, 2009

the future common sense

"The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next." Matthew Arnold, 1875

Less than a hundred years ago, women couldn't vote. We didn't have the ability to choose our leaders, choose who would represent us in our own government, who would look out for ours and our children's well-being. I can't imagine it; can you? To be told that my voice doesn't count because of my gender, that I'm worth less than a man... for what reason? I am no less intelligent or capable of understanding than the average male. To us here in the 21st century, this is an antiquated idea, one so foreign to us that the 80 or so odd years that separate then from now might as well be an eternity. Of course the fight for equality for women isn't over yet, but we're nearly there.

Although African American and other races of men were technically allowed to vote after 1870, it wasn't until 1965, just over forty years ago, that many of them were actually registered and voting, especially here in my beloved South. I look around at the people with whom I work and at my friends... Asians, Indians, African Americans... and I wonder about a country which refused them the right to live freely for so many years and continued to try to deny them the right to vote until just forty years ago. Having only been born nearly thirty years ago myself, I wouldn't recognize a world in which people were denied such inalienable rights. Or would I?

While I understand that the courts overturning Proposition 8 in California yesterday would have set a dangerous precedent,  I question a society that would pass a proposition like that in the first place. Have we learned nothing from our own history? You cannot deny someone an essential right like the right to love and marry whomever one chooses. Not forever, anyway.

My husband and I are not religious people. We're good, honest, hard-working, and charitable people, but we do not participate in any organized religion and did not want God mentioned in our marriage ceremony. We had the hardest time finding someone to marry us! Even a judge turned us down, saying he was "up for deacon" in his church, and it wasn't right and would send the wrong signal to marry us without God. (We finally found a friend of my dad's who used to be a minister and was still ordained who read our beautiful ceremony the way it was written, by us for us.) 

Going through that ordeal, I have a small taste of what it's like for someone to tell you "No, your way of living, as normal and healthy as you think it is, is not right according to me, and therefore I say you can't have it that way." Who was that judge to tell me my way of loving and living wasn't as good as anyone else's? And who are we as a society to tell any two people in love that they aren't as good as us, that they don't deserve the same rights?

There should be a complete separation of church and state. It's the only way to ensure that those of us not involved in organized religion, or those of us in a minority religion, are treated with the same dignity and don't have purely Christian laws thrust on us, like this Prop 8. If that means that the government sanctions civil unions and churches sanction marriages, but all participants have the same equal rights, fine by me. I'll have a "civil union" with my husband. A rose by any other name, right?

If there is an "assault" on marriage right now, it comes not from the committed homosexual couples wanting to join their lives, but from all of us-- male, female, gay, straight, who get married without considering the consequences or commitment involved. The divorce rate, at nearly fifty percent, is what's really tearing American families apart, literally. But you don't see any so-called "defenders" of the "sanctity" of marriage running around trying to put restrictions on heterosexual marriages, apparently half of which should never have happened. They're too busy doing "God's work" keeping what could be happy, fruitful, and committed marriages from happening because the pair happens to be gay.

But it doesn't matter in the end, because in the end what is progressive and outrageous today will be perfectly normal and acceptable tomorrow. It's just a waiting game. I feel for people like my boss and his partner, who want nothing more than to move their eight year relationship into a marriage, but at least they have each other. I'm trying to be patient, as patient as they have been, waiting for the rest of America to catch up with what we already know.

8 comments:

  1. I agree 100%... who are any of us to judge what is right or wrong for another person?

    My husband and I also had the same problem for our wedding. Glad to see it wasn't just us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you totally. Very well said. I try to remind my daughter that she has the rights in the workplace because of the battles my generation did 30 years ago. I can remember being patted on the behind, and not having the power to do anything about it, without losing my job. I once was fired after turning down a doctor's advances that I had worked for. Each generation needs to stand up for what they feel is right. It's your generation's turn. Be strong!

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarlethue,

    Just to let you know, that just because you do not consider yourself a published writer, none the less you are a writer. Check out the International Women's Writer's Guild (IWWG). They are all-inclusive and consider us all writers, even if we only write a diary or letters.

    As you say, "Less than a hundred years ago, women couldn't vote... I can't imagine, can you?" Time has evolved in our government, our views, our standard of living, our choices and the values that this country was founded upon. The church/state issue has changed from being found upon the intwinement of Christian values and beliefs establishing and giving backbone the laws our (Christian) founders & leaders made to... "We need to separate church from the state."

    I hate to disaggree with a fellow writer... however I stand firm in your right to your opinion... but your youth in age and in referance to the foundation of this great country shows your need to investigate the origins of it's basis. England was strangling and insisting upon 'organized religion'on their rules...

    Maybe we have just progressed too far in the liberal direction and forgotten our roots.

    Just wanted to offer you and different prospective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you completely. Not only could women not vote, they could not become doctors or lawyers, they could not register a patent or publish a book or musical score among other things. In my mid 20s I could not get a credit card because I was not married even though I had a job. I remember in one job interview, I was asked if I was planning to have children. He didn't want to waste his time on me if I was going to get pregnant and quit.

    I totally agree with separation of church and state. Despite what many people think about this country being founded on Christian values by Christians, most of the founding fathers were Diests, not Christians and it was they themselves that did not want religion involved in politics.

    On the marriage issue, it is wrong to deny equal rights to people based on who they love. Much of what the religious call scripture is just hatefulness made right by claiming it is god's word (as if any of us truly know god's mind). Never mind that most that stuff came from the mouths of people who we would consider insane today. It's all about control and marriage particularly was glorified and instituted to control inheritance, to make sure that the property went to the man's children and not the woman's.

    I should probably stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlethue, You said it beautifully! And as I wrote yesterday on my blog in regards to Prop 8, it is older people, too, who are for full gay rights, including marriage. This country was founded on separation of church and state (as Ellen also stated) and it is time to get back to that, and take religion out of politics. Change is coming, and hopefully it will not take as long as other human rights have taken in our country: women's property rights, divorce rights, women's vote, abolishment of slavery, Black's right to vote, and other civil rights and equality. Love should be celebrated, not frowned upon, or denied to others. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes education to make change. It takes fear to resist it. People fear what they don't understand and what makes them uncomfortable. Our kids need to be learning from day one that women are as good as men, all skin tones are beautiful, that gays are neither more flawed or less than straits.

    As you said, it has begun. Those wheels are definitely set in motion. Your country is in a transitional time, and I believe it won't be too much longer. I hope not. Here in Canada, same-sex marriage has been legal across the country for almost four years. It happened in stages. Some provinces, then most then all. It will be a happy day indeed when your government joins us in this progression.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you when you say "in the end what is progressive and outrageous today will be perfectly normal and acceptable tomorrow". It just really stinks having to wait for it, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete