Last night, after two hours of Lost and a good thirty minute discussion with my husband about our vague knowledge of the story of Jacob and Esau (if you watch, you'll understand), I pulled out my laptop to research it a bit and check my work email. The cat was running around like her tail was on fire, zooming from one window to the other, stopping only to attack some invisible spot on the floor. She does this at least three nights a week, always at about 10 pm. Usually she plays with my husband much more quietly-- well, not as hyper anyway. Quiet doesn't describe the scratches on his arm. But she's only about 2 so the kitten side comes out of her now and again.
I was sitting, reading, laughing at my husband's interpretation of the sumo wrestlers on tv, when out of nowhere an orange ball of fur and claws slammed into my face, using me as a landing pad, a backboard, and then shot off into the office. My husband says I made a loud "AHHH" noise and immediately sat up straight and covered my face with my hands. I didn't know what had happened, I just knew that it hurt and scared me. I remember saying "Oh my god!" and pulling my hands away from my face, seeing blood running down my left fingers, dark red and thick.
I stumbled into the bathroom, husband behind me saying "Are you bleeding?? Put pressure on it!" When I looked in the mirror, my top lip and front teeth were covered in blood. He got me some paper towels, and with very shaky hands I cleaned away all the blood that I could, swallowing a lot of that metallic tasting stuff, to reveal a split in my top lip on the left side, where a claw had no doubt caught and then ripped as she jumped away from my face. It runs from my skin all the way into my mouth in a slightly jagged but vertical line. There are also two less severe scratches on my forehead. I'm lucky she didn't take an eyeball with her on her way.
There's something about cat claws that make scratches swell up immediately, and that side of my lip looked like a grape within five minutes. I thought maybe I needed stitches, but we decided to wait until this morning to decide, after the swelling had gone. I kept ice on it for an hour until finally the bleeding stopped and I fell asleep. This morning I decided I didn't need stitches, but it certainly still hurts.
You don't realize how much you use an appendage or area of your body until you can't use it anymore. I could hardly brush my teeth, I need a straw to drink, and eating cereal this morning? That was a joke. I can't laugh, I can't smile, I can't talk loudly. It's very frustrating.
And then I hit a bird on the way to work this morning, a pretty red one.
When something like these things, things that bother or affect only me, happen, I always think of kharma. What have I done lately, or not done, that would cause this to occur? Gossip, we've been gossiping a lot at the office about the coworker we don't like. I've been trying to like her but yesterday she made me feel like a secretary so I turned around and made her feel stupid. Mean, I know, and it mostly comes from being frustrated because we're so busy lately, and honestly she is a little slow, compared to the rest of us (i.e. I don't have time to explain how to use a copy machine to her). So I'm going to chill out on the gossip and rude comments. Since I can hardly talk, that should be fairly easy.
Stitches would not be a good idea with a cat scratch anyway...same with a dog bite. Better to let it heal without unless it is really deep. If you stitched it and it got infected (highly likely given all the things those claws touch), it would leave a worse scar. Lesson over.
ReplyDeleteWhen Oscar was a young dog he bit me. I was tussling with Emmy in bed and must have bumped him and hurt him. Next thing I knew he flew into my face and bit me on the nose. His head hit my cheek bone and his tooth went through my septum. It happened so fast and , like you did, I put both my hands on my face. I was recalling a story a woman told me about a dachshund who bit his owners eyebrow off. I was afraid to look in a mirror, so I cautiously lowred my hands and asked Drew if my nose was still on my face. It was still numb at this point. Next day I looked like an abuse victim, complete with a black eye. It left no visible scar, but I sometimes wonder if I should have put a bone through my nose while I had the chance......
I hit a pretty little turquoise and blue baby bird last week... and it stuck to the grill of my truck. I had to pry it off with a stick. It was horrible.
ReplyDeleteGeez! I'm so sorry. What do you do with the cat now? Just chalk it up to kittenhood or get her declawed? (I know nothing about cats.)
ReplyDeleteKeep your eye on that booboo! And take a few tylenol, too.
My husband had an illness called sarcoidosis - which is a swelling of his glands in his neck. One time he picked up our cat and was gently talking to him and he bit the swelling in my husband's neck! It was the oddest thing! We really don't know why he did it but I was worried for the cat as they were standing at the top of the stairs. Luckily, my husband always controls himself or I'm not sure what would have happened to our naughty cat!
ReplyDeleteHope you lip is okay. As for the bird, it is always disturbing to hurt a small creature, but they are nesting and flying all over in all directions, the same as the cat. Spring fever.
I'd be so squeamish! And like you, ducking for cover when she started up again. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you heal quickly.
I was going to say 'What a cute orange cat' ... I'll say it anyway.
ReplyDeleteI had an old lady cat ... past away at the age of 21 ... she liked to jump up on the bed .. on my side .. she got me good a couple of times .. once in the face ... arm ... I moved over after a while .. just in case.
I do hope you heal fast. Kitty didn't mean it ... you know that don't you.
I am a kitty cat sort of expert ... had them my whole life. Even mean kitties, don't really mean it.
Maybe a few more catnip mousies will take care of the 'kitten' in him.
Oops, hope you heal up and return to your usual self. Save up the rude comments for when you're better.
ReplyDeleteI hope your lip heals well and soon. Crazy feline! Congrats on your 100th. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the 100 posts! Congrats on discovering you wish to be kinder and gentler even if meanness is deserved. I believe it will leave you with fewer regrets.
ReplyDeleteKittens have such sharp claws! Hope all heals well..
I hit a bird and cried once. Its feathers flew through the air like blossoms in the wind. it was a very vivid picture and really stayed with me.
That was bad but karma didn't come to my mind when I first read about this.
ReplyDeleteDo take care and I always wonder how people can like cats so much.Well I hate them as they ate most of our pigeons.
Get well soon
Regards
Deboshree